Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make the strategy a short, easy to read document
- Articulate your ideas cleanly and concisely
- Pretend your audience is in grade school - I promise this helps!
- Keep your goals attainable, especially in the early going
- Celebrate each milestone and have fun doing it - Let your guard down and enjoy!
- Make it collaborative - Engage your customers and front line employees for help
- Keep in mind the People, Process and Technology framework
- Don't let the document be a one and done event - Embed it in the organization
- Ensure your executive buys in and supports it unconditionally
If you need help building one I'd love to help!