So what is South West doing to separate themselves from the rest of the airline pack?
- Check out their mission statement above - they make it clear: everything starts with SERVICE
- They go a step further and talk about the kind of service they will deliver: warm, friendly, etc.
- Check out the picture, the CEO looks relaxed and like an everyday person - approachable!
- How about the word "Servant" on the yellow banner - sums it up pretty well, no?
- The picture above could have been taken at a BBQ or Disney World - happiness is everywhere!
You may be wondering, saying these things is nice but is that really the customer experience?
How do we know South West is delivering? And what are some of the specific ways they are creating a simplified customer experience?
Let's start with the evidence:
Survey after survey indicates U.S. flyers (we don't have the luxury of flying SW in Canada) prefer flying SW and they are by FAR the American airline of choice. That has to count for something. Beyond that, we have done a little research of our own and there are many things SW is getting right such as:
- Having a best in class flight booking experience - Why? Because getting information is EASY!
- They don't charge for bags - This has been one of their trademarks
- The Southwest Effect - Wherever they fly they force the competition to lower their fares
- Community involvement - They are active and promote their work helping others
- You can navigate the IVR pretty easily and have the option to serve yourself
- You can speak to someone live and fast - At least from my test calls!
I spoke with Hope who provides customer service and works in their Call Centre and I asked her what makes working for South West so great? The answer will not surprise you. She told me that she feels like she is treated the same way she treats her customers - If that's not poetic I don't know what it is. And we know how South West treats their customers - Unbelievably Well!
Now if only they could fly to and from Canada!
Have a look at our blog on Amazon just below this one to learn more about another first class service company and don't forget to like us on facebook and follow us on twitter
We are Customer Service Simplified - Learn more at simplifyingservice.com